Dear County Executive Leggett and Council President Rice:
We respectively request that Montgomery County initiate a study of returning some one-way streets in Bethesda to two-way traffic. Two-way streets simplify navigation for drivers. They are more successful for retailers. They are also considered more pedestrian friendly.
Streets that should be studied for two-way traffic include:
- Woodmont Avenue (from Old Georgetown Road to Hampden Lane)
- Old Georgetown Road (from Commerce Lane to Woodmont Avenue)
- Montgomery Lane (from Woodmont Avenue to Wisconsin Avenue)
- North Lane (from Woodmont Avenue to East Lane)
- East Lane (from North Lane to Montgomery Lane)
Changing these streets to two-way traffic could improve Bethesda’s urban fabric and make Bethesda easier for visitors to navigate. With the Bethesda Downtown Plan in process now, we believe this is the right time to study this change.
Thank you for considering the Board’s advice on this matter.
James A. "JAD" Donohoe, Chair
Western Montgomery County Citizens Advisory Board