There is a great deal of history in Bethesda. The old Bethesda Post Office on Wisconsin Avenue has been in the news recently. However, the "Madonna of the Trail" statue next to the Post Office commemorates something even older.
The statue of a pioneer mother marks the spot where the pioneers spent the first night out of Georgetown on their way west. Bethesda was the eastern terminus of the Cumberland Road, the first portion of the National Old Trails Road leading to the Santa Fe Trail.
Erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1929 (and dedicated by then Judge Harry S. Truman) the statue is one of twelve that can be found between Maryland and California.